Cloudy with a Chance of Vegan Meatballs
Welcome to my first official VeganMoFo post! I’m focusing on making vegan food fun with meals inspired by our childhood favorites. We’re kicking the month off with a meal from one of my all-time most loved movies, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!
Huge shout out to the book too!
The book is a beloved classic for sure, but there’s just something I love so much about the movie. The nerdy love story! The female empowerment! Saving the day with science! Mr. T layin’ the smack down!
And best of all, the incredible food! There are so many meal opportunities with this story; it’s hard to choose just one. Ultimately, I had to go with the title dish and make mashed potato clouds unleashing a spaghetti twister and flinging meatballs over a field of broccoli.
This recipe is super easy to make, it hardly qualifies as a recipe at all. I plan to post my favorite mashed potatoes recipe soon, but in the meantime any recipe you like will do. I highly recommend Isa’s Fluffy Mashed Potatoes! I currently have a little love affair going with Wildwood’s Meatless Meatballs so I used those, but feel free to use your personal favorite as well.
I recommend eating this delicious carb heaven of a meal while watching Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Maybe even read the book first. And don’t forget dessert! Vegan gummy bears!!
- 1 batch mashed potatoes
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, cooked
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8-12 vegan meatballs, cooked (I like Wildwood's)
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- Scoop mashed potatoes onto top of plate, using ice cream scoop to form into cloud-like balls
- Toss spaghetti noodles in marinara sauce
- Form spaghetti into triangular funnel shape beneath mashed potato clouds
- Place meatballs on and around spaghetti tornado
- Line bottom of plate with steamed broccoli